Wednesday, March 21, 2012

april is an embarassment of TV riches

For some strange reason, almost no new shows premiered this winter season (at least, nothing that I was really interested). But after 3 months of TV boredom, all my favourites (and new shows that I have been interested since their announcement) are coming! I like to think it's all for my birthday, because I'm self centred like that, so thank you cable!




First of all, Game of Thrones! April 1st!! Yaaaaaay! HBO has released like, a trailer a week for the past two months, building the hype, but here's the latest one. Also: I saw Melisandre's costume guys! It was AWESOME!



Next up, premiering on April 6th, is Starz's Magic City. It's their take on a midcentury period piece, a la Mad Men. But it's starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan (who is amazing), is more of a crime drama, and takes place in 1950s Miami, so I think it's going to be a very different show. If it can stand up to Mad Men, which is back this Sunday (!!!) though, remains to be seen.



The Borgias also comes back on April 6th! I love The Borgias, second hottest cast on TV after GoT! And this season looks to be even more action packed than the last!



From Tiny Furniture Writer and Director Lena Dunham, and producer Judd Apatow, this is cable's answer to the trend of 20-something young women sitcoms. And as a twenty something young women, I appreciate being represented. I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but for a really long time most shows starring women were either about teenage girls or women who are 35+! I think the only show with a twenty something was Ugly Betty (remember Ugly Betty?).



Veep is another HBO show, from Thick of It creator Armando Iannucci. It also stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus AND Tony Hale (ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT REUNION!!!) so I am THERE with bells on. It premieres April 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment