Wednesday, February 23, 2011

best of nyfw fall/winter 2011: rodarte




I don't usually like Rodarte's collections. That's right, I sad it. I DO appreciate their artistry and the creativity that goes behind all of their collections, but when it comes right down to it I wouldn't wear anything in them. That's not to say they don't deserve to be one of the most heralded young American designers right now, but they simply don't get me excited to wear their clothes (I mean, not that I have the money to, but you know what I mean). This has kind of changed for me this season. The inspiration was the film Days of Heaven and the American midwest (and of course The Wizard of Oz came into play), and I have to say, I love their interpretation. I can see the praries in the colour palette, but the clothes themselves are very chic and sophisticated. I love the long coats (they remind me of Victorian coats, which I kind of adore for some reason), and the full skirts make me think more of '50s housewives than like, corn huskers. It's definitely their most wearable collection yet, while still retaining their signature knits and stiff, handstitched pieces. Not only that, while the collection is full of references, they have yet again made it modern and their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment